Sunday, February 24, 2013

Aaron Deming



Welcome back to another Kickstarter Conversation!  Today I am joined by the very talented Aaron Deming who is here to talk about his Kickstarter to produce his first EP and summer tour.  Thank you for joining us today Aaron! 


Thanks for having me, James!  I’m very happy and excited to finally be at this long awaited stage in my life.  



Why don’t we start off with a bit of background on you as a singer there Aaron.  What got you into music in the first place?  When did you pick up the guitar?

Ever since I was a kid, I have always loved music.  My Dad played the trumpet in high school and college, as well as conducted some of their orchestras, so that helped a little bit too.  Mostly, though, my parents just encouraged me to do whatever I had the most fun doing.  That passion turned out to be music.  I picked up the acoustic guitar around 5th grade and haven’t been able to put in down since.


The Kickstarter campaign is to produce your first album and send you out on the road is that correct?  Where are you planning to go?

Yes, absolutely.  I have always wanted to take my music out on the road with me, and I finally feel like now is the time to do so.  If all goes accordingly, I plan to go on a full U.S. tour, starting in Philly and ending in Philly right around mid-July.  


How do you plan to balance college with your singing career?  

I have already been able to successfully manage balancing the two for the past year and a half, and I don’t see why that would change anytime soon.  I will spend the same amount of time on each, but in terms of music, I feel like that time will now be spent a lot more seriously as I finally introduce myself to the world as an artist.  

What genre would you classify your music as?

It’s hard to describe, other than singer songwriter-esque.  

$15,000 seems like a lot for a single video, where is the money all going?

I have received a TON of questions so far on this topic, so I’m glad that you asked.  My Kickstarter goal is not going towards one single expense.  It is a bundle package that will help support me financially for the next 6-8 months.  It will allow me to record my full album/EP and release it in a professional manner.  That not only includes iTunes and Amazon, but also in the form of physical copies.  Expenses for that will include everything such as the CD itself, album art, booklets and the plastic hard shell case.  I also plan on using some of the money for my merchandise which includes t-shirts, poster, stickers, etc...  Most of the money, though, will be going towards the tour this summer.  Renting a van for over a month is not cheap, and neither is gas or lodging.  Even with the $15,000, I still worry that I will have to cover some expenses out of my own pocket.  Hopefully by then I will have the money for all that I am faced with.

Your campaign listing states, “Spring Break: FINALLY launch my Facebook Music Page, Bandcamp, SoundCloud, YouTube and iTunes account (and all other forms of social media).”   Doesn’t that seem a bit late?  I mean shouldn’t you have most of those up already to help feed your Kickstarter?  

Yes, I probably should have thought ahead a little bit more and had those sites up and running.  What was stopping me from doing so, though, is that I currently don’t have any of my music professionally recorded yet.  That is what my Kickstarter goal is going to help me do!  As soon as it is funded on March 3rd, I plan on hitting the studio as soon as possible and getting straight to work.  

If you don’t have a YouTube account how are folks outside of Philadelphia supposed to hear your work, get excited, and back your project?  

Similar to the last question, Kickstarter is going to allow me to do all of these things.  

How hard is it as an unknown to get the attention you need to get backer support?  What are you doing to get your name and music “out there” to get people excited about you?  

I have kept it on a very personal level so far, only reaching out to friends and family that I have on Facebook and through email.  I have encouraged all of them, though, to share with their family and friends to hopefully reach as many people as possible.  

How did you discover Kickstarter?

My Dad actually found the site when we were looking into recording studio costs to get my music recorded and out into the public arena.  He encouraged me to do what I am doing now!  

A key part of successful Kickstarters is backer participation and how to convert a potential backer into a full backer.   How are you engaging your backers?  What kinds of things do you have planned for updates to give notice to those who just hit the “remind me” button and surf on?  Interviews?  Videos?  Stories from the project?

I am constantly thanking all of my backers on Facebook, naming each one specifically in order of their backer number.  Also, I just recorded an update video which should be posted by this Friday night (Feb. 22nd) at the latest!  


Aaron Deming's Debut EP and Summer Tour! -- Kicktraq Mini 

What kind of media attention have you received with your project?  How are you spreading the word?  Facebook?  Twitter?  Google+? Youtube?  Advertising?  Are you using Kicktraq to track your progress?  

I have been in contact with Rowan University’s Ad agency and they plan to feature my Kickstarter in their newspaper next week.  Also, JRC Productions featured my Kickstarter on their Facebook page.  Please check them out, they make some awesome cover song music videos!  (https://www.facebook.com/JrcPr0ductions?fref=ts)  I am on every form of social media right now, with the exception of YouTube, not including my promo video and soon to be update video.  

Do you have any tips/advice would you give to anyone looking to start a Kickstarter?

Plan ahead!  Do everything and anything you can to make sure you that as many people as possible see your Kickstarter project.  You never know whose computer screen it could come across.  That was how I approached it, and I really hope it pays off in the long run for anyone who is brave enough to attempt such a feat.  

Thank you for spending your time with us!  Do you have any final thoughts for our readers?

I would just like say that although I do not have any of my own music out yet for you to hear, I really encourage you to pledge what you can because you won’t be disappointed.  I have spent a lot of time writing, and narrowing down the songs that I think are the best.  Through your help, I will finally be able to embark on my dreams.  The goal is to have a hit record, become famous and start up my own non-profit organization (similar to Jack Johnson’s in Hawaii) in order to use my influence to help as many people in need as possible.  

Thanks again and I hope to hear good things from your Kickstarter!

Thank you, James.  I look forward to what the future holds as well!  

No comments:

Post a Comment